Pages

1 February 2014

Several batteries on board? or just the main battery?

There's plenty of discussion about what to do regarding how many batteries to have on the multicopter.

More batteries mean more weight but more battery life. More weight means less flight time. One main battery means less weight, but also share battery life for all the components. Meaning less flight time.

So there's not easy answer here. I guess this depends on the type of multicopter you have, the electronics, etc. At the end, you'll use what it works for you.

In my case I've only tested different batteries. I've three on board:
  • For the motors
  • For the gimbal
  • For the FPV transmitter
I've to say that I like the feeling of knowing that I've enought power to send the FPV signal independently, so I won't get blind if I spend a bit more time on air. And as I'm lately getting the FPV signal from the GoPro, and it's being stabilized by the gimbal, I also like to know the gimbal will work fine during the whole flight.

But, I know this adds extra weight, so I would like to try how it is to have just the main battery connected to the motors, gimbal and FPV video transmitter at the same time.

The key is... how to connect this three different battery connectors to the frame??

Battery connectors

I'll try to find it out soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment